AMV (Anime Music Video) Competition

Chat about Anime Village the area of the London MCM Expo for fans of everything Anime & Manga

Re: AMV (Anime Music Video) Competition

Postby Sentrix on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:08 am

Jake Bullet wrote:heres my thoughts.

1.no one should start anything until the admin fully decides to this comp and sets the rules. telling him what rules there should be like length, size and codec is just arogant and pushy. i doubt the admins would even suggest something like this if they didn't know what they were doing. so if they want to do this they should decide quickly and set rules.

2.If they can ensure no one will be sued for submitting them then i'll be happy to submit one.

3.What will be judged? the quality in which its made or what the amv is like? or both. because you can make completly rubbish amvs on pro software and absolute gems on bad software, is quality really an issue? i've seen some amvs full of lovely tricks which spoilt it as a whole really.

4.is submission type an issue? i know some have said putting them on dvds would be bothersome, and i aggree with the data only point, but if they said something like "hand them all in by 12:00 noon on saturday and the winners TBA on sunday, thats plenty of time i think.

5.length of video shouldn't be an issue.i've seen tons of suggestions for length but really its all dependent on the song. i know ghe one i have in mind which goes well with the vid is over 5 mins. again another thing the admins will have to decide.

thats just my thoughts, ignore if you will. :P

Dont know about the submission form dvd thingy you said :mrgreen: but access to thier fttp or emailing them with a link through mediafire is always a way to go... im already making an amv, well thats primaraly for anime evolution though and i'll submit it for this one aswell :D
Sentrix

Postby Floof on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:16 pm

Jake Bullet wrote:3.What will be judged? the quality in which its made or what the amv is like? or both. because you can make completly rubbish amvs on pro software and absolute gems on bad software, is quality really an issue? i've seen some amvs full of lovely tricks which spoilt it as a whole really.

Totally. I think it should be judged solely on entertainement value. In other words the AMV with the best performance all together.

And whats this talk of DVD submission? O_O
LOL, I thought the file could simply be e-mailed, to whoever, in advance. But maybe the DVD option would work best for confirmed late/on-the-day enteries?
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Sentrix on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:01 am

Floof wrote:
Jake Bullet wrote:3.What will be judged? the quality in which its made or what the amv is like? or both. because you can make completly rubbish amvs on pro software and absolute gems on bad software, is quality really an issue? i've seen some amvs full of lovely tricks which spoilt it as a whole really.

Totally. I think it should be judged solely on entertainement value. In other words the AMV with the best performance all together.

And whats this talk of DVD submission? O_O
LOL, I thought the file could simply be e-mailed, to whoever, in advance. But maybe the DVD option would work best for confirmed late/on-the-day enteries?

i agree with the dvd option, and the visual and audio qualiy is also important in an amv
Sentrix

Postby Youkai_Miko on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:10 am

this would be pure awesomeness! i'll need to look back at the suggested catagories but would there be a limit on the number of animes used in one vid or the length of the vid, maybe even the anime that is used?
i'm just curious, sorry if these have been mentioned previously btw *bows*
Youkai_Miko

Postby 4yumi on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:29 pm

*Found this thread on google*XD Wow Wow this'll be a huge one... I can imagine it now; there will be the Cosplayers, the photograthers and now finally the AMVers too!!! Will it be like the Anime Expo's contests i wounder?? XD
Interested(!), okay here are some very basic things one will have to think about before even brain storming thier ideas *simple point of view*;
-Are there to be any rules on song language, (Whatever happens 'Please-don't-limit-us-to-English...' *bows*!).
-Oh and I'm guessing PG13 or lower is a given; becuase of the "Family friendly" tag.
-What is to be concidered anime (i.e. would something like Pucca(S.Korean), Avatar: Legend of Aang(American), or Kingdom Hearts (...Game) be fine X3).
-How lossly will one define AMV as a whole, very important question (I could imagine people's plans going in the MAD(Defined here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAD_Movie @_@;) direction for Best Story section or Best Visual Effects Section... XP).
-Most important limits on how many entiries per person (maybe limit of 2~5max :3!), because I'm sure there are people who already have like 10+ great AMVs worth submitting but that would be to much... @_@')

(Sorry if I repeated anything that has already been said)
"Afu~"XP Image
4yumi

Postby Jake Bullet on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 pm

yeah i think the admin needs to decide whether to do it or not, i think all were gonna get is repeat suggestions now. admins please tell us what to do!!! :P
Jake Bullet

Postby uber-nerd on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Time also has to be taken into account. For example, it's hard enough for the cosplay people to get 2 hours for the masquerade and yet people are talking about having 7 minute long songs and enough submissions for over 50 entries.

... That could take up to 5 hours and 50 minutes to show.

I'm not saying that everyone will pick a 7 minute long song, but still, be realistic.

Tab
uber-nerd

Postby Sentrix on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:36 pm

uber-nerd wrote:Time also has to be taken into account. For example, it's hard enough for the cosplay people to get 2 hours for the masquerade and yet people are talking about having 7 minute long songs and enough submissions for over 50 entries.

... That could take up to 5 hours and 50 minutes to show.

I'm not saying that everyone will pick a 7 minute long song, but still, be realistic.

Tab

good point... people should edit their songs to make it shorter...
Sentrix

Postby Sasuko on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:07 pm

I'd enter this =3 I've always wanted a chance to make an AMV to advertise a manga series I wanna make =3
The ninja Atsu
Sasuko

Postby shaneh87 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:56 pm

I've decided to wait for the official announcement from the Admin about this.No point starting something only to find its against the rules haha.Also uber-nerd has bought up a really good point about timing,but i have an idea that might not be ideal for everyone but hear me out.Ok say people hand in their videos on the Saturday so the judges ect can pick out their favourite say 10/15 and then on Sunday you could do the contest to find the winner out of the 10/15.As i have said though this would mean people turning up for both days of the expo which could be a problem.
shaneh87

Postby Jake Bullet on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:51 pm

shaneh87 wrote:I've decided to wait for the official announcement from the Admin about this.No point starting something only to find its against the rules haha.Also uber-nerd has bought up a really good point about timing,but i have an idea that might not be ideal for everyone but hear me out.Ok say people hand in their videos on the Saturday so the judges ect can pick out their favourite say 10/15 and then on Sunday you could do the contest to find the winner out of the 10/15.As i have said though this would mean people turning up for both days of the expo which could be a problem.

aggreed. we need the admins input now. (nudge nudge, wink wink)

i aggree with that idea, which ever way they choose to have submission i highly doubt they'd show everyones AMV, there'd be too many. so with that in mind limiting video time is pointless. besides how many are likly to do this? my guess would be about 100, tops. idealy they only want to show the top 10 on the day. perhaps have a stall that loops them continuesly throughout the day.
Jake Bullet

Postby uber-nerd on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:23 pm

Sentrix wrote: Obsered, why 4:3? that means footage of 16:9 which is widescreen will be squished too crappy 4:3, that would also look bad downscaling videos... why cant we decide our own aspect ratio, if we want to make it 640,480 or 720,480 which is 4:3 thus if the footage it self is originally 4:3, and 704,396, 848,480 or hell even 1280,720... and as for the length of the video it could be maximum of 6mins. and i would also say 15 would probs be a little to little imho. but you do have some valid opinions and points there.

I said 4:9, not 4:3…

The films would be projected on the big screen, right? The screen is a square, right?
That’s a 4:3 image, right? ‘4:9’ is a term which simply means a widescreen image presented within a traditional 4:3 image. Imagine watching a 16:9 widescreen film on a 4:3 television. The resulting image produces black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. You lose no information. That simple. I don’t understand why I have to explain this to you… It’s extremely basic stuff.

I don’t understand what you are implying here? Do you honestly expect people to edit standard definition footage into HD? That’s like chalk and cheese!
Last edited by uber-nerd on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uber-nerd

Postby uber-nerd on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Sentrix wrote:Any anime footage including FF or Kingdom hearts is actually suitable
and as for the aspect ratio i would think both but i wouldnt suggest bigger than 720p
dunno about this one, it would be really nice if we could hand in huffy or lagg
length would be under 5mins...

Um… what? 720P… What! We’d be editing SD (low quality downloads or DVD ripped) footage, why would we edit and project it in HD!

The reason why I suggest a standardisation for each entry (aspect ration, codec, SD etc. – all very simple things) is to eliminate the very real and common possibility of things going wrong. It happens all the time at events. People end up devastated because they decided to produce their ‘amazing’ film/AMV/whatever in a codec/ratio/ burning software etc. they wanted to use… only to have their work incompatible with the organisers software etc.

By the way, you are talking to someone who actually works within the industry and produces content on varying formats. It is deadly important to know what you are actually on about. The simple fact is that there are strict guidelines within various organisations (such as the BBC and BSkyB) which explicitly detail HD in broadcasting.

I, in fact, hope that the organisers actually spend time researching and seeking insider advice (there are far more qualified individuals out there than myself!) None of us are infallible with knowledge… but some of us have actually gained knowledge through experience.

- Christian
uber-nerd

Postby shaneh87 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:33 pm

What uber-nerd said about the HD is very true.You can't make something that wasn't intented for HD into HD.I think entries should all be in common formats like WMV or AVI for example and unless the screen projects Widescreen then 4:9 or 4:3 resolution.
shaneh87

Postby Sentrix on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:54 pm

uber-nerd wrote:
Sentrix wrote:Any anime footage including FF or Kingdom hearts is actually suitable
and as for the aspect ratio i would think both but i wouldnt suggest bigger than 720p
dunno about this one, it would be really nice if we could hand in huffy or lagg
length would be under 5mins...

Um… what? 720P… What! We’d be editing SD (low quality downloads or DVD ripped) footage, why would we edit and project it in HD!

The reason why I suggest a standardisation for each entry (aspect ration, codec, SD etc. – all very simple things) is to eliminate the very real and common possibility of things going wrong. It happens all the time at events. People end up devastated because they decided to produce their ‘amazing’ film/AMV/whatever in a codec/ratio/ burning software etc. they wanted to use… only to have their work incompatible with the organisers software etc.

By the way, you are talking to someone who actually works within the industry and produces content on varying formats. It is deadly important to know what you are actually on about. The simple fact is that there are strict guidelines within various organisations (such as the BBC and BSkyB) which explicitly detail HD in broadcasting.

I, in fact, hope that the organisers actually spend time researching and seeking insider advice (there are far more qualified individuals out there than myself!) None of us are infallible with knowledge… but some of us have actually gained knowledge through experience.

- Christian

I didnt really said that people who uses downloads or DVD rip to make it 720p...I mean to say if people have Blue-Ray rips... so I wasnt saying about the fact that people with footage which isnt HD upscaling it now, did I? I mean the simple fact that some people do have blue-ray disks of anime and may want to use it and display their videos in 720p....
Sentrix

Postby CocaineWeeaboo on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:16 pm

or you could just illegally download RAWs
Saturday May '10: Uboa
CocaineWeeaboo

Postby Floof on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:20 pm

CocaineWeeaboo wrote:or you could just illegally download RAWs

Were there an any other alternatives? xD
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Shinji Ikari on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Great this is much more my sort of thing thoght there is a law ishue with it
Shinji Ikari

Postby Kuros on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:56 am

I would most defiantly submit an AMV for this, but I think one of the major problems is how do we know that the person who submits it actually produced the AMV,

This is a problem I have seen in other places, where people download AMV's from youtube/niconico video and then use them as their own.
Kuros

Postby Kuros on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:59 am

uber-nerd wrote:Do you honestly expect people to edit standard definition footage into HD? That’s like chalk and cheese!

I know that the majority of people would just use SD footage, but don't forget there are still people with HD sources,

I for one have my AIR Blu-ray boxset here ready and encoded for a AMV, (Not for this one, but in general)
Or I could use my ef. Blueray disks, there are always some people that have HD sources, so I feel that its a valid point.\

Floof wrote:
CocaineWeeaboo wrote:or you could just illegally download RAWs

Were there an any other alternatives? xD

Well, Some people prefer to purchase their anime for whatever reason, I remember having to spend $500 for my AIR Blu-Ray boxset and I have spent much more over the years in importing anime...

So, there is a alternative, just a very expensive one,
Kuros

Postby Raymatt Havoc on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:13 am

Kuros wrote:Well, Some people prefer to purchase their anime for whatever reason, I remember having to spend $500 for my AIR Blu-Ray boxset and I have spent much more over the years in importing anime...

WOO! Another AIR fan!
O o
Raymatt Havoc

Postby uber-nerd on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:22 am

You seem to be missing my point.

I requested that every video be presented with a universal format to avoid complications during broadcast.

That is my argument, and I raise this point because I don't want people like you from having to endure the miserable experience of all your hard work and creativity being made completely redundant due to a missing codec on a hypothetical organiser’s laptop...

If I were you guys, I’d produce an HD AMV for uploading to YouTube afterwards (unless the song is owned by WB…) However, it doesn’t mean you can’t down convert it to SD in order to retain uniformity amongst the competitors.

I was planning on HD and down converting to SD. That way, the quality looks noticeably better then material originating on SD.

Christian
uber-nerd

Postby xaerael on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:08 am

Raymatt Havoc wrote:
Kuros wrote:Well, Some people prefer to purchase their anime for whatever reason, I remember having to spend $500 for my AIR Blu-Ray boxset and I have spent much more over the years in importing anime...

WOO! Another AIR fan!

<--- huge KEY fan because of AIR. i've been hoping for years someone would complete the semi finished VN translation, but the team that started working on it went over to work on the clannad VN translation T_T.
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
xaerael

Postby Commander J on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Didn't I happen to come up and rant a hell of a lot about copyright infringement? If I remember correctly I did, but hell if you wanna open up lawsuit after lawsuit and show media that was originally intended for home use and not for a public viewing go right ahead. From what I can remember ADMIN, you actually agreed to this and now your going back on your word... If you want this event to LOSE ALOT of money go right ahead I hope to god you have enough money to pay for the amount of viewer for each and every series used. Also there will more and likely be series used that ain't even liscenced here so I'd calm the hets on this idea.
Commander J

Postby uber-nerd on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:57 am

Yeah, I can really see them going after a non profit organisation for 5 minutes of some clips from an anime.

Tab
uber-nerd

PreviousNext

Return to ANIME VILLAGE @ EXPO - MAY 2009