AMV (Anime Music Video) Competition

Chat about Anime Village the area of the London MCM Expo for fans of everything Anime & Manga

Re: AMV (Anime Music Video) Competition

Postby Commander J on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:27 am

uber-nerd wrote:Yeah, I can really see them going after a non profit organisation for 5 minutes of some clips from an anime.

Tab

Hahaha! Your kidding right? They are all for profit that's why they CHARGE a lil extra for tickets so they can break even. They know that they are doing.
Commander J

Postby Jake Bullet on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:28 pm

for the coypright thing i think its ok if WE actualy own the series mentioned. i remember asking guy who ran a whole website for his AMVs and he said (quite rudley) that he owned the dvds, he bought them and there was no profit in what he does. if we have actualy bought the dvd boxsets and not used fan subs i think we can use them in competitions, same would go for the music me thinks. the important thing is the disclaimer, i remember when i put my naruto amv on youtube. i got an email (several months later) telling me to put a disclaimer up because i forgot. after that it was sorted. so if were to do this having a disclaimer will have to be a MUST.
Jake Bullet

Postby CrystalNeko on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Jake Bullet wrote:the important thing is the disclaimer, i remember when i put my naruto amv on youtube. i got an email (several months later) telling me to put a disclaimer up because i forgot. after that it was sorted. so if were to do this having a disclaimer will have to be a MUST.

I do this... yet they still take down my videos =[
Well actually I have credits to the artist and company for the music and anime but still, isn't it pretty much the same thing??

My videos have been up there for around 1-2 years, they've only recently decided to take a couple down! They said I can swap the audio for another but I can't really since I added credits ON the video itself too, I'm not too miffed since they're old and I can make better AMVs now.
CrystalNeko

Postby Commander J on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 am

Jake Bullet wrote:for the coypright thing i think its ok if WE actualy own the series mentioned. i remember asking guy who ran a whole website for his AMVs and he said (quite rudley) that he owned the dvds, he bought them and there was no profit in what he does.

If you read what's actually on the DVDs you'll find you are still breaching copyright laws... you have to buy licenses to show it publicly AND you also have to buy the liscenses to actually play the music to a crowd of people.
Commander J

Postby Moozman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Commander J wrote:
Jake Bullet wrote:for the coypright thing i think its ok if WE actualy own the series mentioned. i remember asking guy who ran a whole website for his AMVs and he said (quite rudley) that he owned the dvds, he bought them and there was no profit in what he does.

If you read what's actually on the DVDs you'll find you are still breaching copyright laws... you have to buy licenses to show it publicly AND you also have to buy the liscenses to actually play the music to a crowd of people.

Going along with the theme of copyrighting more specifically playing music to the public even other cons like minami or aya would come under the same threat of being sued as they charge admission for entry and EVEN THOUGH they do it to pay for the event this still cancels them from the clause.

I was under the impression that the companies like AMV and MANGA would broker a deal with the convention as they own many of the anime licences for the anime that can be used and the unlicenced anime doesn't break any copyright laws if it is used outside of the country where it has been bought (thats how crunchyroll can show unlicenced anime without getting sued.)

Moozman
Moozman

Postby Sentrix on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:40 am

goddamnit.... stupid copyright..

anyways i always thought showing amvs in a competition would be ok, though only if the event itself isnt for profit. if they DO NOT ask people to PAY to watch the amvs i would believe that they should be on solid ground...

uber-nerd wrote:You seem to be missing my point.

I requested that every video be presented with a universal format to avoid complications during broadcast.

That is my argument, and I raise this point because I don't want people like you from having to endure the miserable experience of all your hard work and creativity being made completely redundant due to a missing codec on a hypothetical organiser’s laptop...

If I were you guys, I’d produce an HD AMV for uploading to YouTube afterwards (unless the song is owned by WB…) However, it doesn’t mean you can’t down convert it to SD in order to retain uniformity amongst the competitors.

I was planning on HD and down converting to SD. That way, the quality looks noticeably better then material originating on SD.

Christian

well personally i wouldnt downscale a HD i would just render a SD if thats the case.... and about u mentioning the missing codec issue, then they should just download VLC Player...cos im pressuming most of u people are ganna be sumbitting .mp4 AAC and not some lame stupid divx/xvid or wmv .... =/

another point, if i were u and u are going sumbitting HD, i would suggest not doing 59.976fps...cos hell, they might have a comp or laptop that isnt powerfull enough to play it.
Sentrix

Postby Terragal on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:12 am

I would totally be interested in this. Dunno if I'd consider participating in it, I'm not that good at AMV making, but I'd certainly watch them :)
Terragal

Postby Floof on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Commander J wrote:Didn't I happen to come up and rant a hell of a lot about copyright infringement? If I remember correctly I did, but hell if you wanna open up lawsuit after lawsuit and show media that was originally intended for home use and not for a public viewing go right ahead. From what I can remember ADMIN, you actually agreed to this and now your going back on your word... If you want this event to LOSE ALOT of money go right ahead I hope to god you have enough money to pay for the amount of viewer for each and every series used.

I'm thinking MCM might have already thought about the copyright issues. They wouldn't throw this out for discussion if they didn't know what it included. Maybe they've already sorted something out or are in the process of doing so?

I really don't know, but let's see.

Commander J wrote:Also there will more and likely be series used that ain't even liscenced here so I'd calm the hets on this idea.

It might even be a case of giving us a list of which series they have permission to show. =/
ಠ_ಠ

Floof

Postby Jake Bullet on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Floof wrote:
Commander J wrote:Also there will more and likely be series used that ain't even liscenced here so I'd calm the hets on this idea.

It might even be a case of giving us a list of which series they have permission to show. =/

to be honest i think its the music that might get more gripe. its been stated that Japaneese arn't that bothered over AMVs, so its more likly to be the music that gets called into question.
Jake Bullet

Postby Raymatt Havoc on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 am

They do count as free publicity for the acts and would not maybe be whole songs so could say they are promoting the material itself
O o
Raymatt Havoc

Postby VeggieXD on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:56 pm

I would definitely enter! I would love to have an AMV Competition.
VeggieXD

Postby fullmetalrose on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:38 pm

It'd be great to hear some more about the competition and their plans from MCM Expo as we've had some excellent feedback here.
fullmetalrose

Postby Darkeechy on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Jake Bullet wrote:
to be honest i think its the music that might get more gripe. its been stated that Japaneese arn't that bothered over AMVs, so its more likly to be the music that gets called into question.

Yeah, recordlabels are realllly stingy about music in AMVs. There was that thing about AnimeMusicVideos.org getting a kick up the . from Windup records a few years ago.

Anime News Network wrote: Popular AMV site AnimeMusicVideos.org has been served with a cease & desist order by an unnamed record label in regards to AMVs using music from Evanescence, Creed, and Seether.

According to AnimeMusicVideos.org admin "Phade" the copyright holders for those three bands do not want the bands music distributed on the website. Their legal representation stated that it would be acceptable if AnmeMusicVideo.org removed their links to all the AMV featuring those bands.

In total close to 2000 AMVs have been removed from the website.

According to Phade, the lawyer representing the record label/copyright holders stated that the AMVs and the website came to the copyright holders attention when a fan contacted them and asked if the AMVs hosted on AnimeMusicVideos.org were created by the band.

Though if you can find away of getting around copyright issues and stingy people, an AMV competition would be awesome! I'd enter! :]
^_^
Darkeechy

Postby sunny1r on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:08 pm

As long as no-one gets sued we'll all enter.

The copyright issue is huge there are so many types of anime and music out there. BTW how many of us were going to use video game footage? Like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts?
sunny1r

Postby Jake Bullet on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:05 pm

sunny1r wrote:As long as no-one gets sued we'll all enter.

The copyright issue is huge there are so many types of anime and music out there. BTW how many of us were going to use video game footage? Like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts?

I am. is there much difference as far as legality for game footage and anime/tv series?
Jake Bullet

Postby animegirlxxx123999 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:49 pm

i would definatly enter ^^ its sounds really good if there was a reward what would it be?????
animegirlxxx123999

Postby sunny1r on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:52 pm

well there are still copyrights around video games definetly but if expo handles it, I WILL be using kingdom Heart material from all games.

Prizes? Hmm...Perhaps a trophy (I want proof that my AMV is awesome lol) and maybe a anime DVD boxset
sunny1r

Postby Espada1Lewis on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 pm

I'd Gladly Enter xD

But I would Like Using A Mix Of Two Animes ;D
And i Know The perfect song to do it with =]
i plan realy quik with amv's =]
Espada1Lewis

Postby koneko on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:37 pm

:33333 sososo interested! you should definatley do this.
~ May 09 ~

Aoyagi Ritsuka
------------------
koneko

Postby shaneh87 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 pm

I was planning a FF video.
shaneh87

Postby Jake Bullet on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:03 pm

shaneh87 wrote:

I was planning a FF video.

as am i. which FF? i'm doing FF9
Jake Bullet

Postby Youkai_Miko on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:27 pm

ph! i know the perfect video to enter :D it'll need some sprucing up but i'll certainly enter ^-^
Youkai_Miko

Postby ChiceeSugar on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:39 pm

ooooh! An amv contest would be EPIC!!
I have the perfect AMV, but mind yew it has so many animes in i,ll probably get sued D:
But at Miniami Con they always have anime AMV screenings and don't get sued so maybe MCM found a way around it, nee?
ChiceeSugar

Postby neko_riddles on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Prizes will make more people join fo sho

I'd happilly enter, i aint done an AMV in ages, plus it would be great if they used a great big screen for the amvs :P as long as the quality aint too bad
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neko_riddles

Postby sunny1r on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Well it looks like a strong few will be using video game footage. What about music? We cant ALL use Linkin park now lol.
sunny1r

PreviousNext

Return to ANIME VILLAGE @ EXPO - MAY 2009