Masquerade - Discussion

Discuss the UK's largest Masquerade event which takes place both days during the London MCM Expo.

Do you Cosplay? Then tell us what you like about the event we organise, what costumes you are wearing or how you feel we can improve Cosplaying at the London MCM Expo

Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:30 am

Hey Everyone, glad to see you all posting and eager already!!

With the Masquerade growing in popularity and demand we need to make a few changes to the format of the show for October so that we can accomodate the number of cosplayers who wish to participate a bit better.

So... if you have feedback or suggestions on how we can improve the show for YOU, be you cosplayer or audiance member this is your chance to let us know!

We will post any changes we are making (or thinking of making) as soon as we can so that you all get some warning but in the meantime some things that arn't likley to change for October:

Advance Registration

Advance registration will probably open about a month before the London Expo, via a form on the website.

Weapons & Props Rules
These will probably be similar to the rules for May Expo 2009 which can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=223&t=11102

Costume Eligibility
Bought or commissioned costumes will not be allowed except by express permission of the Cosplay Admins. This includes groups of mixed home made and bought costumes - only the home made ones will be allowed to take part. This is due to the ridiculously high demand for places.
If a costume is made by someone else other than the wearer, then it will only be allowed of the maker is on stage as part of the same group. If someone has made 3 costumes (for example) they can go on stage in one costume and have two others on stage with them to model the other two, rather than trying to wear three costumes simultaneously (which would be silly).

Note: 'Costume' refers to the main elements of the costume, those parts of it that are most recogniseable. generally it is allowable for small accessories and things like wigs and shoes to be bought or commisioned.


Performance Length

Performances will be limited, probably to 3 minutes for a group skit or 1.5 minutes for a solo entry.
They will need to be suitable for a family audience.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 am

As always bought items like wigs, shoes and small costume accessories (like Naruto headbands or Vashes glasses) are likley to be fine.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby LadyLaraCroft on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:56 am

My first masquerade and expo went very well last month so I'll defo be entering! ^^
I am TheEmoEmu. Deal with it.
User avatar
LadyLaraCroft
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Tif9123 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:20 am

Me and fusionrose watched the sunday one and it was amazing! We hope to get a place in the october one so we can do a dead fntasy skit ^^.
User avatar
Tif9123
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: Leatherhead, Surrey, London

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Loxes on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 am

Is this the right place? I'm sure you're fed up of hearing this already...

But queue control is urgently needed. It's not fair if I queue for an hour before and people who just joined the queue get better seats.
Image
User avatar
Loxes
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: London

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Freyarule on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:49 am

Ok, time for my biggo question 8D

on Sunday, I'm hoping to put together a Phoenix wright group, but the problem with me is that I need to wear a suit jacket, but I'm nowhere near good enough to make an actual jacket and so will need to buy one. But I will make everything else!
Since I'm in a group it won't be judged as competitively as it would if I were on my own, will it?

*crosses fingers*
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
User avatar
Freyarule
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Shhh...it's a secret.

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Tif9123 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Freyarule wrote:Ok, time for my biggo question 8D

on Sunday, I'm hoping to put together a Phoenix wright group, but the problem with me is that I need to wear a suit jacket, but I'm nowhere near good enough to make an actual jacket and so will need to buy one. But I will make everything else!
Since I'm in a group it won't be judged as competitively as it would if I were on my own, will it?

*crosses fingers*


An aerith, zack and cloud did a skit on may and the aerith had not made most of her costume and she was allowed since she was in a group. So you should be fine ^-^
User avatar
Tif9123
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: Leatherhead, Surrey, London

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Silver on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:21 pm

I have a question about the number of people per group.

I know that the Hetalia group had about 25 in their group and had to be slit in to quite a few smaller groups. On the Sunday there's due to be a LARGE Eternal Sailor group (pretty much the whole team, plus Galaxia) and as the number exeeds ten people, wondering if we'll be seperated due to the group size?
Image
May Expo, 2010
User avatar
Silver
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:29 am
Location: Brighton

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Silver wrote:I have a question about the number of people per group.


After the Hetalia invasion we did realise we are in need of much clearer guidlines on group size so it is something that will be changing.

Maximum rather depends on what you are doing. for a standard walk on we will probably be looking at about 12-14 people, If you're wanting to perform we will have to concider what your doing on stage but the limit may be lower.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Freyarule wrote:Ok, time for my biggo question 8D

on Sunday, I'm hoping to put together a Phoenix wright group, but the problem with me is that I need to wear a suit jacket, but I'm nowhere near good enough to make an actual jacket and so will need to buy one. But I will make everything else!
Since I'm in a group it won't be judged as competitively as it would if I were on my own, will it?

*crosses fingers*


If you and your group members have made everything else then you will probably be fine. We are likley to scritinize Phoenix Wright cosplay since a lot of the outfits are potentialy store bought so please keep this in mind.

Unfortunately with the interest in the masquerade as high as it is we need to be quite tight on the costume construction rules :(
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby RanmaSyaoranSaotome on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Hello again!

Thankyou for letting me help out!

I do have a question about the entrace to the masq. as to where the steps are... With the larger sized cosplays... Is it possible for you to request a larger entrance part to the stage? (Say 10 foot wide, etc...)

Thankyou!
User avatar
RanmaSyaoranSaotome
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:16 pm
Location: Narrowboat On Horbury Canal (REALLY!)

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:37 pm

Loxes wrote:Is this the right place? I'm sure you're fed up of hearing this already...

But queue control is urgently needed. It's not fair if I queue for an hour before and people who just joined the queue get better seats.


We totally agree and will be feeding this back to those in charge of the queue. We hope the arrangements will be a lot better in October.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:40 pm

RanmaSyaoranSaotome wrote:Hello again!

Thankyou for letting me help out!

I do have a question about the entrace to the masq. as to where the steps are... With the larger sized cosplays... Is it possible for you to request a larger entrance part to the stage? (Say 10 foot wide, etc...)

Thankyou!


No problem :)
Lol I know which costume your thinking of :wink:

We will bring it up, with the new backstage layout I imagine it may be possible to open the entrance up a little. I doubt we will be able to do away with the handrails by the steps though - there probably a H&S requirement.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Novasry on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:43 pm

i was wondering about the Background you use on stage, the large amount of "London MCM" logos can detract ones eyes from teh cosplayer, and confuse cameras
User avatar
Novasry
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby TurkFox on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Next time I enter the masquerade, can you asked the stage nicely not to scrape my knee please? :P
TurkFox
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Freyarule on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Ilpala wrote:
Freyarule wrote:Ok, time for my biggo question 8D

on Sunday, I'm hoping to put together a Phoenix wright group, but the problem with me is that I need to wear a suit jacket, but I'm nowhere near good enough to make an actual jacket and so will need to buy one. But I will make everything else!
Since I'm in a group it won't be judged as competitively as it would if I were on my own, will it?

*crosses fingers*


If you and your group members have made everything else then you will probably be fine. We are likley to scritinize Phoenix Wright cosplay since a lot of the outfits are potentialy store bought so please keep this in mind.

Unfortunately with the interest in the masquerade as high as it is we need to be quite tight on the costume construction rules :(


Thanks for replying, this has dented hopes a bit BUT, if all goes to plan everyone else's outfits will be handmade!
And I understand on the potential of store-bought costumes - if need be we shall present progress pictures!

another question that Silver has raised - our group are hoping to do a performance, so what would be the limit on time/people be? Also, in the horrific event that the skit overuns the limit, would there be a chance of having it in two parts (like the Hetalia people had it in 4-5 parts) or would it depend on how many other people participating on the day?
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
User avatar
Freyarule
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Shhh...it's a secret.

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby SamW89 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:15 pm

Me and a friend are currently constructing Spartan armour from Halo with which we may try to enter the masquerade. They will be made with a card base, which will then be fiberglassed over, have car body filler applied to them, before we add details via sculpting and then we plan to paint them with car spray paint. This has worked for members of a site called 405th who specialise in making Halo armour. Though we are using their methods, we are doing all the work to create the costumes, so I assume such costumes will be eligible?

You have already addressed my previous concerns about the masquerade in another thread so I won't repeat them here.
User avatar
SamW89
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Wiltshire UK

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:53 am

SamW89 wrote:Me and a friend are currently constructing Spartan armour from Halo with which we may try to enter the masquerade. They will be made with a card base, which will then be fiberglassed over, have car body filler applied to them, before we add details via sculpting and then we plan to paint them with car spray paint. This has worked for members of a site called 405th who specialise in making Halo armour. Though we are using their methods, we are doing all the work to create the costumes, so I assume such costumes will be eligible?


As long as you make them yourselves, it's all good :)
It's perfectly fine to follow construction guidelines that you have found elsewhere.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:05 am

Freyarule wrote:another question that Silver has raised - our group are hoping to do a performance, so what would be the limit on time/people be? Also, in the horrific event that the skit overuns the limit, would there be a chance of having it in two parts (like the Hetalia people had it in 4-5 parts) or would it depend on how many other people participating on the day?


The time limit for skits will probably remain at 3 minutes for groups. The limit for dance/song performances will probably be lower than this though - we have noticed that they are not so well recieved by the audiance if they go on for too long.

Splitting the Hetalia group up was very much an exception to the rule. I'm afraid we will be setting group limits in the future so splitting performances into parts won't be an option.

Please understand that with the number of people wanting to take part we have to make sure as many different groups as possible can enter.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Ilpala on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:09 am

Novasry wrote:i was wondering about the Background you use on stage, the large amount of "London MCM" logos can detract ones eyes from teh cosplayer, and confuse cameras


We will feed that back to the event organisers. I wouldnt expect it to change too soon though, those backdrops are quite expensive and intended to last several shows.
James - MCM Expo Cosplay Coordinator
User avatar
Ilpala
Board Moderator
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Nocturne Rose on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Ilpala wrote:
Loxes wrote:Is this the right place? I'm sure you're fed up of hearing this already...

But queue control is urgently needed. It's not fair if I queue for an hour before and people who just joined the queue get better seats.


We totally agree and will be feeding this back to those in charge of the queue. We hope the arrangements will be a lot better in October.


I think part of this problem was that we were being filled into seats from front to back in three sections, so if you were waiting just under a third of the way into the queue you'd find yourself at the back of the hall whereas someone who joined 5 minutes after you or just-over two thirds of the way down the queue would get great seats right at the front.

I don't know how it could be done better though as getting everyone across all the first row then all the second etc could have ended up quite messy (or taken a heck of a long time), but it did seem unfair to those who'd got into the queue early
User avatar
Nocturne Rose
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby SamW89 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:51 pm

How about setting a maximum of two tickets per person at the desk in the morning? Yes, some people will grab one for themselves and one for whoever they're with, and I think being able to give two tickets to one person is perfectly acceptable, but some were at the desk and being handed seven or more tickets (which I assume they gave to a large group of friends). If each person could only have a maximum of two tickets from the desk then more people would have a fair shot at getting a ticket.

The only people who should be allowed more than two tickets are those who are performing and want their friends/ family to see them.
User avatar
SamW89
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Wiltshire UK

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Freyarule on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:36 pm

Ilpala wrote:
Freyarule wrote:another question that Silver has raised - our group are hoping to do a performance, so what would be the limit on time/people be? Also, in the horrific event that the skit overuns the limit, would there be a chance of having it in two parts (like the Hetalia people had it in 4-5 parts) or would it depend on how many other people participating on the day?


The time limit for skits will probably remain at 3 minutes for groups. The limit for dance/song performances will probably be lower than this though - we have noticed that they are not so well recieved by the audiance if they go on for too long.

Splitting the Hetalia group up was very much an exception to the rule. I'm afraid we will be setting group limits in the future so splitting performances into parts won't be an option.

Please understand that with the number of people wanting to take part we have to make sure as many different groups as possible can enter.


Hmm ok, we'll try and see what we can fit into 3 minutes. Thanks for replying!
Oct13 - Gou-chan/IceClimber/RainCard
User avatar
Freyarule
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Shhh...it's a secret.

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Loxes on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:52 pm

Ilpala wrote:
Loxes wrote:Is this the right place? I'm sure you're fed up of hearing this already...

But queue control is urgently needed. It's not fair if I queue for an hour before and people who just joined the queue get better seats.


We totally agree and will be feeding this back to those in charge of the queue. We hope the arrangements will be a lot better in October.


That's brilliant news, at least this time we weren't all put in those A B C D queues and treated like children. I think that was the worst time.
Image
User avatar
Loxes
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: London

Re: Masquerade - Discussion

Postby Novasry on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:30 pm

For one of my Cosplays that i hope to enter i will be using a full body lycra suit, would i be penalised for wearing a bought one that had been customised for the cosplay itself instead of making it from scratch???
User avatar
Novasry
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Next

Return to COSPLAY & MASQUERADE @ EXPO

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest