Everyone is a Trekkie now!

Chat about everything Star Trek here

Everyone is a Trekkie now!

Postby CurlyKirsty on Mon May 25, 2009 8:07 am

The new film has injected some much needed glamour into the Trekverse and has been the major topic in April/May. Who here has seen it and what did you think about it?

Kicking off, I was lucky to have such a good friend give me tickets to press screening and the IMAX press screen so I was one of the first to get to see it and the consensus was good, even those among our group who never watched Trek enjoyed the film.

I liked it so much, the explosions and spaceships are amazing, there are a few in-joke nuggets for Trekkers to pick up on, the young cast do a good job of the characterisation. Uhura is quite strong but in original series the network tried to shut her out (racism) and the new actress has been allowed to develop her personality which I like. Each guy shows a little glimpse of the original actor's character which is great especially when curmudgeonly Bones says he likes Spock! Uhura says to Kirk "I hope you know what you are doing" and he looks up at her, very shatneresque!
CurlyKirsty

Re: Everyone is a Trekkie now!

Postby Toadsanime on Mon May 25, 2009 10:39 pm

I haven't seen it, though I'd still like to. I had no interest at all in the series and the films based off of it - and still don't, to be perfectly honest - though the new film certainly does look good. :D
Toadsanime

Postby Pocky_Stealer on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:16 pm

I LOVE THE FILM!!!
I think the actors were brilliant, they portrayed the original characters so well. To begin with I was quite skeptical about Zachary Quinto playing spock, not because I didn't think he'd do the character justice (to be honest I'm really not a big fan of the original series anyway) but because everytime I saw him I just though of Sylar in Heroes. I got past this though, and just though 'give him a chance', and I'm so glad I did, because to be honest I think he was the best actor in the entire film. Yes they were all good, but he really stole the show.
Karl Urban is an actor who I think doesn't get enough recognition, and hopefully he'll get more after doing this film. He was a brilliant McCoy...and really looked like him too.
I wasn't sure how casting Chris Pine as Kirk was going to pan out either, but he was also brilliant.
A huge amount of kudos should go out to the casting directors because the entire cast is pretty much perfect, which makes the film so much more enjoyable to watch.
And I agree, there are quite a few in-jokes, one of my favourites being in the bar fight scene, listen out for the whistle :p

I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore Trekkie, but I am quite a fan of the franchise, and this film hugely appealed to me and other fans of the shows that I know. But I also know lots of people who love it and haven't ever seen a Star Trek show. The film has managed to bring the ST universe to a whole new audience whilst still appealing to ST fans, which in my opinion is great!!
Last edited by Pocky_Stealer on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pocky_Stealer

Postby ducod on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:08 pm

The new film just rocks - Star Trek for the masses! :D
ducod

Postby Lisar* on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Tbh i didnt expect to like it, i thought they woul ruin the idea of all the previous films, dont ask why..
But i LOVED it!! i cant really explain why, it was a combination of things. But i really did.
Lisar*

Postby sjbonnar on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:29 pm

I thought it was fantastic! A lot better than I had been expecting TBH! Kirk was cool, Spock was cool and the casting was done SO well!

Plus I loved the nods to the old series/movies as well!
sjbonnar

Postby Silverdeer on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:00 pm

I was a Trekkie long... loooooong before the new movie.
But the new movie was okay, it was medi ocre for a trek movie, but an overall okay and very funny movie.
And god Zachary Quinto was always a very hot man.
The toughest part to cast, which was most sure to get a lot of trash from fans, was casted perfectly, no one can ever be mad at Quinto's acting... especially not the girls.
Silverdeer

Return to STAR TREK