How u got into Anime?

Chat about everything Anime here

Re: How u got into Anime?

Postby zalitz on Mon May 11, 2009 1:42 pm

i got in to anime in two differnt oone being when i got the . hack games it came with the . hack limination dvds but the main reason i got in to anime was my friends at collage watch anime i so i started watching the first 190 episode of naruto what were out then and slowly after that i started getting in to other anime like bleach, .hack signs etc
zalitz

Postby Pocky_Stealer on Fri May 15, 2009 5:01 pm

It was definately Pokemon for me, and then Cardcaptor Sakura. I went through a huuuuuuge Pokemon phase xD
Ahh brings back memories, good old 1990's =]
Pocky_Stealer

Postby alicedragon on Sat May 16, 2009 1:51 pm

It was on the TV, but I really started watching anime outside of the TV after Naruto.
alicedragon

Postby Stubbled Grapes on Mon May 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Like many it seems, I used to watch Pokemon not knowing it was anime and just thinking of it as another cartoon. How was I supposed to know? They all have crappy American accents and there isn't a word of Japanese.
Did rather love it though (games, cards, everything)

And then, near the end of year 10, I was properly introduced to it.
I had a friend who kept going on about this guy with a metal arm and leg. She had the opening theme on her phone and I liked it and planned to watch it.
Course, was a while before I ever got round to watching it, and another friend managed to watch it and get hooked before I'd even started, but when I did I loved it.
FMA then lead into Kingdom Hearts manga (the game I already loved) then into FMA manga and it spread from there =]
Stubbled Grapes

Postby speedlolita on Mon May 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Pokémon, Dragonball and being heavily influenced by Final Fantasy.
speedlolita

Postby DeeEmmSee on Mon May 25, 2009 9:49 am

I used to watch DBZ, Gundam Wing, and all the others back on the old Toonami channel, but I didn't really see it as anime at the time. Then I just kinda grew away from it until I looked up where this guy's name came from on some forums (x Yasha x), and then I just got hooked onto all sorts :)
^ADD ME :D
DeeEmmSee

Postby ichirukia on Tue May 26, 2009 10:36 am

the first anime i eva watched and is the reason i got into it was DBZ then i went onto others like Sailormoon, Cardcaptors and so on =) ave bin watching anime for about 10years now maybe longer i dunno i lost count haha
ichirukia

Postby .Wolfie-kun. on Tue May 26, 2009 5:38 pm

I kinda fell in love with Dragonball Z, Pokemon and Digimon roughly at the same time, all 3 were amazing back in the day.

Then a couple of years back I watched the first ep of Naruto when it debuted on Jetix, I thought it was ok for a start. Then not long later my friend's brother's friend (I know >< XD) introduced me and my friend to Naruto properly. It was not long after this that I came across 'subs', I've loved subs over dubs ever since <3
A tale of souls and swords
.Wolfie-kun.

Postby georgiekitten on Tue May 26, 2009 9:45 pm

My 1st anime was DBZ. I would have been about 13 or 14 at the time. I would come home from school and i would HAVE to watch it. Everyone knew not to disturb me and i would watch the omnibus for 2 hours at the weekend. It's 1 of the few animes i've watched all the way through. I met my best friend through DBZ.

The story goes like this

I was boring two of my friends at school as they were never into anime like i was, and this girl came up to me and said

"do you like Dragonball Z?"

We got talking about DBZ and then every night after the days episode we would ring and talk about the episode for a couple of hours.

So i really love Dragonball Z, it have to be one of my faves.
georgiekitten

Postby CPU on Sun May 31, 2009 5:22 pm

I was into anime before I even knew what anime was- my first anime is a series called Marine Boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HqSkY4vtVY (CPU hums tune and moves as a wave). You've no idea how long the Japanese have been making cool cartoons (Astro Boy is even earlier) ^___^
every time they invent a new fool-proof system, someone gives birth to a better fool
CPU

Postby Kuros on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:24 pm

I started off by listening to J-pop/J-rock, and then went on to watch the series that the OP/ED/Insert songs came from, after watching anime for a couple of years I decided to give something back, so I joined a fansub group, and from there I've been watching a new episode of something almost daily, with lots of anime marathons inbetween
Kuros

Postby MISSWOOFALOT on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:55 am

I watched Akira many years ago on a vcr tape, terrible dubbing - there was no option to sub back then - but it was awesome all the same - from then I was hooked on anime and japanese cinema.
MISSWOOFALOT

Postby Adziu on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Heheh, I have a lot of fondness for the Teenaged Turtles dub of Akira!
Adziu
Board Moderator

Postby Manga Girl on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:33 pm

A few years after watching Pokemon and Digimon on terrestrial, we got Sky and I found the Sci-Fi channel were showing anime movies like Akira and Ghost In The Shell also Sailor Moon was on Fox Kids (now known as Jetix) and Toonami on Cartoon Network had quite a few animes. When I went to college I got more into anime, bought a few tapes and carried on from there.

I miss Toonami :(
Manga Girl

Postby ashwerewolf on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:56 am

when i was younger from like age 4 i watched cardcaptors, sailor moon, digimon and pokemon (not sure which came first)
and at the time i didnt realise they were anime then years later i discovered naruto when my older brother had started watching it and then i just got addicted
ashwerewolf

Postby FuriePhoenix on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:49 am

my older brother was into ghost in the shell when he was a kid, and i ust grew up watching it with him. and hes an artist so he was always drawing comic book stuff. So it was becuase of him really that i got into it. Then i saw Blood:the last vampire and i was thinking this is cool! Then my love for it peetered out a bit as i grew up trying to fit in at school. then pokemon came out and i was a fully fledged anime/manga/cosplay fan. never left it since!
FRI:KatVonD SAT:Kida SUN:Vidia
FuriePhoenix

Postby SantaBla on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:06 pm

As a kid, watching french tv, early 1990s.
SantaBla

Postby thanty on Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:08 pm

ooh ... i grow up in a country named Burma, located in asia , so it was normal for a boy to grow up with anime and manga, lol, when i got to uk , i was already into anime already
thanty

Postby rocksanie on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:28 am

idk, I use to watch Dragon Ball and Pokemon when I was younger and RAve MAster when it was aired, although I stopped, then I think about a year two years ago I watched Goshusho-sama Ninomiya-kun and it got me back into watcing it~ :D
Awesomely Awesome XD || Midlands Expo - Da Qiao DW7/DW:SF2version
rocksanie

Postby Toadsanime on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:49 pm

thanty wrote:ooh ... i grow up in a country named Burma, located in asia , so it was normal for a boy to grow up with anime and manga, lol, when i got to uk , i was already into anime already

That's quite an interesting answer, opposed to 'I watch Pokemon/Digimon/Dragonball Z when I was a kid', lol.
Toadsanime

Postby DarkWolf on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:28 pm

The video game series Legend of Zelda. I was on a fansite and I found the Ocarina of Time manga on there, so I had a look and really liked it. I confirmed with a friend what anime meant, because I was pretty sure manga was comics, but yeah... so that's how, and that just makes me love Zelda that much more! :D
DarkWolf

Postby Link-1991 on Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 am

Like a lot of people I watched Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Beyblade on Cartoon Network back in the day and it gradually evolved from there. :)
Link-1991

Postby MrRainbows on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Can't remember properly...
My big brother and I used to watch it since ever, mainly the movies that used to show on SciFi Channel! ( Good times : D )
I guess it properly started with Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Dragonball z, Digimon etc, and my brother sometimes drew it so I started drawing it that got me into it alot too.
MrRainbows

Postby CrownClown on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 am

Yeah anime in the UK is quite rare, I was discussing with my friend the other day how anime deprived the UK is >//<

Well I was a fan of Pokemon when it was first aired on the TV in the UK, me and my sister were rabid fans watching the episodes religiously, buying all the merch (cards, stickers, toys, games etc.) and that lasted a couple of years. Then I started watching Dragonball Z on Toonami and watched that everyday along with Tenchi. Then I actually got more into American cartoons such as Fairly Odd Parents, Danny Phantom etc.
and then by chance me and my sister found an trailer on Youtube for Fruits Basket and we watched a couple of episodes online and then I bought the boxset and I started reading the FB manga and then from there I go more and more interested in finding more.
:lol:
CrownClown

Postby Adziu on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:36 am

I dunno, even when I was a kid, which was likely a good few years before you were a kid, there used to be more anime than money could buy on the shelves of HMV, on VHS tapes!

£10.99 for 2 episodes of Evangelion. Dear me. And that was when a bar of chocolate cost 30p.

Thank goodness for the tape-trading fansub scene, and of course for broadband.
Adziu
Board Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to ANIME