Suggest me an anime.

Chat about everything Anime here

Suggest me an anime.

Postby Toadsanime on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:28 pm

(Sorry if this is too generic, if so move it to spam and games or something)

So, for quite a while now I've been behind on anime and have the time/will to watch some more, so tell me what your must-see anime series are and just suggest me some to watch.
Toadsanime

Re: Suggest me an anime.

Postby Timcanpy55 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Well Saiyuki is my favourite ever XD so i always recommend that

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! is awesome :) Pandora Hearts, Wolf's Rain and D.Gray-man ^^
Timcanpy55

Postby blastuk on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 pm

What do you like? What have you seen?

This site might be useful: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/
Punch in an anime you've seen and enjoyed and it'll show you recommendations from people who have watched it.

As for must see... Genshiken, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 5 Centimetres per Second..
If you want lots of laughs in a quick watch: Detroit Metal City
blastuk

Postby Toadsanime on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:40 pm

I'll be making a list of all suggestions and will get round to trying them all out. As for tastes, it's like my film tastes - it's unspecific, I just like it if it's good and interests me. Fruits Basket is my favourite anime, but then I like anime that's nothing like that too.

Thanks for the site link, I'll try it out.
I've seen a number of episode of Katekyo Hitman Reborn and thought it was quite good, and have wanted to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for a bit now.
I bought three volumes of D.Gray-Man manga the other day but have to read it, if it's good I'll try out the anime. As for the other suggestions, noted, thanks. :D
Toadsanime

Postby LemGemapple on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Hm... Let's suggest some stuff for you... =D. As i do enjoy my Anime at the moment and have been watching it alot lately. But still, i will list some i love and i am sure you will/do.

Baldr Force EXE
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist
The guyver
Neon Genesis Evangelion

That is all from me for now!
Yojimbo - Final Fantasy X
LemGemapple

Postby Saikouze on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:39 pm

I second Genshiken.

I could list a ton of interesting ones, but as for one which I've never seen anything too similar...

'Welcome to the N.H.K' ((Its somewhat a cross between Genshiken and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei))
A slice-of-life anime with a consistant storyline.
About a Hikkomori aged 22-24 trying to break from his NEET way of life. It has a realistic view on a hikkomori life. The anime itself is based on a novel so it has techniques such as forshadowing and stuff. You kind of see things through his eyes, sometimes he imagines his household items talking to him *rarely*, and when he goes out, he always feels like people are judging him. Whenever something bad happens, he believes it to be a 'conspiracy' justifying it by finding it hard to believe that so many bad things can happen to good people. Very interesting anime, with a good balance of drama and light humour. Animation style is modern, where the characters are more 'asian' instead of 'colourful', the details are like watching an anime movie.

I liked it so much that I managed to get myself to savour it, 1 ep a day...

I bet its probably way too sophisticated for you
Last edited by Saikouze on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Saikouze

Postby alicedragon on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:33 pm

That depends what you're looking for.
It you don't mind long series then I suggest Monster and League of the galatic heroes. They're probably the best anime out there. Slightly shorter, Planetes and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. There's also Umineko no naku koro ni, but the VN is better.
alicedragon

Postby Toadsanime on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm not looking for anything in particular length-wise nor genre-wise, so I've noted the suggestions, thanks! :D

I'll get through all these at some point and say what I think of them.
Toadsanime

Postby thanty on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm

have you watched an anime called black cat? yet
thanty

Postby Toadsanime on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:56 pm

thanty wrote:have you watched an anime called black cat? yet

I've read about two issues of the manga and thought it was okay, so giving the anime a try would be a good idea.
Toadsanime

Postby thanty on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:22 pm

yea try it , also try samurai deeper kyo
thanty

Postby Tif9123 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Pandora hearts and elfen lied.
Tif9123

Postby onewingedsoldier on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:58 pm

One I definatly have to reccommend is Gankutsuou. It's a bit deeper than your regular anime I find, and sure the art style may dazzle you a bit you do get used to it. It's based off the book The Count Of Monte Cristo if you've heard of it.
...here, have a trailer :3 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaXvyrQv_5M
onewingedsoldier

Postby Toadsanime on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, I seem to find myself with more time to watch anime recently, spare time of which I'd usually use for doing something else. I don't mind if there's so many suggestions, it'll give me more to watch over a long period of time. :wink:

onewingedsoldier wrote:One I definatly have to reccommend is Gankutsuou. It's a bit deeper than your regular anime I find, and sure the art style may dazzle you a bit you do get used to it. It's based off the book The Count Of Monte Cristo if you've heard of it.
...here, have a trailer :3 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaXvyrQv_5M

Just watched the trailer, thought it looked okay and I like what I've seen of Studio Gonzo's work so far so should be interesting.

Ice climber wrote:FLCL
Slayers (All of them really)
Elemental Gelade

I'm watching Elemental Gelade at the moment actually (I've seen the first 9 episodes) and really like it, though I feel the last few episodes have lacked something. I'm not quite sure what.
I have volume 1 of The Slayers from May expo's goodie bag, so I'll give that a try first I suppose. I've always loved the themes from the various Slayer's series.
As for FLCL, I don't know anything about that at all, but I'll give it a try at some point, thanks.
Toadsanime

Postby blastuk on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:42 pm

How about some long series'?

Rurouni Kenshin - 94eps
Hikaru no Go - 75 eps
Eureka Seven - 50 eps
Twelve Kingdoms - 45 eps
Great Teacher Onizuka - 43eps

Those will keep you entertained for a long time if you haven't seen them before.

Short quick watches:
REC
FLCL

And another to add to your list:
Full Metal Panic! - all 3 seasons.
blastuk

Postby neko_riddles on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Lols if you really wanted long series then ud be saying stuff like Bleach and Dragon Ball :P

My personal Favourites are Macross (Mecha, love triangles and singing) Macross 7 (mecha, Love triangles, singing and SONG LAZERS!!!) Neon Genesis Evangelion (Mind f*ck, Mecha kinda, post apokalyptic) RahXephon (Mecha, Love, Singing) Air Gear (Roller Blades, Shonen, ECHI!!!) Lucky Star (Slice of Life, School, Mental lol) Azumanga Daioh (slice of life) Hellsing (Gore, Super-natural, guns) and Negima (Schol, Magic, Harem, Echi)

I also second Black cat, although i found the Manga to be better than the anime (still good mind :P)
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neko_riddles

Postby blastuk on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm

I only suggested ones I have completed and aren't ..
blastuk

Postby Toadsanime on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:42 pm

blastuk wrote:I only suggested ones I have completed and aren't ..

Thanks for all your suggestions, they're much appreciated and I'll get round to watching them at some point. :wink:

And thanks for your list too, Neko.
Toadsanime

Postby DarkWolf on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:39 pm

X/1999, or just X, by CLAMP. Heard of the film? FORGET THAT, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE ACTUAL SERIES!

Seriously, I believe it is fantastic, because it really is. The storyline is very good and keeps you interested until the bitter end. There's strong storylines and at times it's very upsetting, but it's just so good!

Here's an intro to it. :)

Kamui, a 15 year old boy, returns to Tokyo after 6 years, re-uniting with his old childhood friends Fuuma and Kotori. Destiny awaits and more and more he is being pulled into it as he tries to escape it, and his friends get involved.

A lot more characters are introduced as the series goes on, and the world is litterly at stake, and I'm not talking about one of those "take over the world" stuff, no, because it's not really about that, it's about the Earth itself and what is going to become of it when two sides battle it out to save humanity, or to destory it so the Earth can heal itself from man's harm.

The manga is sadly unfinished but the tv series has an ending. The manga is better, but I just hope CLAMP get round to finishing it off after all these years, as it's still suppose to be on hold.

The anime is 25 eps long, counting the extra ep, but it's really 24. The manga is 18 volumes so far, but a 19th has kind of been released in a magazine I believe... but you can find scans online.

The film though is dissapointing though.
DarkWolf

Postby LadyVessalius on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:49 pm

One Piece
Pandora Hearts
Wolf's Rain
D.Grayman
Soul Eater
Gintama [Good for laughs]
Chrno Crusade
Dot hack series [Roots and Sign]
Darker than black
Gundam WIng
Gundam Seed
Gundam 00
... I could go on =3
LadyVessalius

Postby ukotaku on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 pm

LadyVessalius wrote:One Piece
Pandora Hearts
Wolf's Rain
D.Grayman
Soul Eater
Gintama [Good for laughs]
Chrno Crusade
Dot hack series [Roots and Sign]
Darker than black
Gundam WIng
Gundam Seed
Gundam 00
... I could go on =3

YOU HAVE GOOD TASTE IN ANIME!!!!
Saturday: Yumasaki Walker-Durarara!!
Sunday: Orihara Izaya-Durarara!!
ukotaku

Postby PureLiterary on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 am

Axis Powers Hetalia.
Trust me, watch this, and suddenly history and geography become alot more interesting.
Oh, and you can't watch the news anymore.
Austria: The Original Gentleman
PureLiterary

Postby alicedragon on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:10 am

PureLiterary wrote:Axis Powers Hetalia.
Trust me, watch this, and suddenly history and geography become alot more interesting.

I don't think not being able to watch the news is particularly inviting ^^'
Hetalia doesn't make history interesting... It gives you a simple and idealistic interpretation of some countries' darkest hour, based on outdated stereotypes that anyone with a brain would see makes no sense.
Basically, it's "WWII" for yaoi fangirls.
alicedragon

Postby DarkWolf on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 pm

I would also suggest Death Note as an amazing anime or manga to watch/read. The plot is really well thought up & it's keeps you interested in what will happen next. The psychological plot is wonderful & I love the way Light/Ratio Yagami thinks, meaning the people who made "him" think like that have great minds! :D

It's not a typical storyline, but it's in the name what the series is about; a notebook of death. Basically, "the world is in need of a change" says one, & strives to change it by using the notebook. I won't tell you anymore in case I ruin it. :wink:

It's 37 episodes long, & the series has some live movies & novel(s?) at looking at someone else's point of view, but I've only watched one of the movies so far, but I watched the anime some time ago.

The series is my second favourite, with X/1999 being my favourite, but I would say it deserves to be no 1 in some people's eyes. :D

The genres for this series is mystery, psychological thriller, supernatural thriller & horror. :)
DarkWolf

Postby PureLiterary on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 am

alicedragon wrote:
PureLiterary wrote:Axis Powers Hetalia.

I don't think not being able to watch the news is particularly inviting ^^'
Hetalia doesn't make history interesting... It gives you a simple and idealistic interpretation of some countries' darkest hour, based on outdated stereotypes that anyone with a brain would see makes no sense.
Basically, it's "WWII" for yaoi fangirls.

Firstly, it does spice it up a little as it makes things amusing.
I found history interesting anyway, and the genre is "historical comedy." They don't delve too deeply into these things, jsut represent them, but it isn't supposed to be a documentary.
And also, don't insult me.
1. They are stereotypes but that's supposed to be part of the humour, "anyone with a brain" can see that.
2. It's WWI, not WWII.
3. I'm male, yet the biggest hetalia fan you'll find.
4. There are many straight pairings.
Austria: The Original Gentleman
PureLiterary

Next

Return to ANIME