Miles Edgeworth game

Chat about all kinds of gaming here, such as consoles and so on

Re: Miles Edgeworth game

Postby binxiipop on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:53 pm

JunkBoy wrote:
binxiipop wrote:
JunkBoy wrote:Yeah...You take away the courtroom and you really take away the best part of the series.

The courtroom really was what made the other games so great, but I suppose they don't want Edgeworth to appear as the 'bad guy' by getting people found guilty.

I however think that that would have been so much fun, because Edgeworth is supposed to be this 'perfect' prosecutor, yet Phoenix ALWAYS beat him?

Surely not EVERYONE who comes into the court room is innocent, right? There's got to be some guilty people with dodgy defence attorneys. A smart, less retarded games director would base it around that.

Big climatic last chapter; an episode where Phoenix is the defence attorney and it's built up heavily that the defendant is innocent despite some obvious guilty signs. Episodes climax; the final decision isn't announced. Who knows who won? It was so down the line it's for the players to decide amongst themselves.

I'll take that paycheck now Capcom.

Clearly they aren't all innocent, I mean, just look at the witnesses? It was always one of those that was the killer WITHOUT FAIL. Capcom never explained what happened with them, so it would have made more sense for Edgeworth to prosecute them.

That would make for one EPIC last chapter though.

And while we're ranting, what the hell is up with Phoenix losing his badge? It's called PHOENIX WRIGHT: Ace Attorney. Apollo ruined it, 8P
binxiipop

Postby JunkBoy on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:39 am

binxiipop wrote:And while we're ranting, what the hell is up with Phoenix losing his badge? It's called PHOENIX WRIGHT: Ace Attorney. Apollo ruined it, 8P

Bring it back to Metal Gear Solid 2: It's all about being able to admire the main character from a distance. There's just some things to learn about Phoenix Wright that's much more fun to do when you're not seeing it all from his perspective but instead seeing it as someone who admires the man who currently seems to of fallen.

Apollo was a right step in a new direction. Whereas Edgeworth was a wrong one.
JunkBoy

Postby Katsuya on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:01 am

binxiipop wrote:And while we're ranting, what the hell is up with Phoenix losing his badge? It's called PHOENIX WRIGHT: Ace Attorney. Apollo ruined it, 8P

WRONG. It's ORIGINAL name was Turnabout Courtroom (逆転裁判 - Gyakuten Saiban). Nothing to do with Phoenix Wright at all in the title. It was just centered around Naruhodo Ryuuichi he just happened to be the main character. Also the game in english is officially titled "Ace Attorney" according to Capcom. So therefore Housuke Odoroki didn't ruin the game.
The voice of the loudest voice
Katsuya

Postby Nessie-chan on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:20 pm

HAHAHAHA HIS NAME IS NARUHODO???

I love it xD
Slave Ranger!
Nessie-chan

Postby binxiipop on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 am

Name or not, in my opinion, the game lost it's appeal when Phoenix lost his badge.
binxiipop

Postby Hiccup on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Im putting my hand up here now and saying that I have absolutely no knowledge of this game other than whats been said here. I have played PW 1 and 2, and I THINK 3, but thats as far as my knowledge of this series goes. If you're still with me, lets have a go:

What made the game great (to me) was that moment in the courtroom where you finally pieced all the pieces together and proved that your guy was innocent and some random other guy was the real guilty party. Take away that, and you take away the real great thing about the game. However, with so many sequels now using the same concept, it's getting kinda old. They need a new take on things. Not more new characters who are defense attourneys.

To make this new game good, it needs a new concept, a new way of looking at it. It needs the same charm and the same basic characters, which makes Edgeworth the most logical choice. Here's the thing though - I don't think Edgeworth was the BEST choice. I'm gonna contradict myself here and say that actually, what would've worked better was a whole new character, a new prosecutor who was learning the ropes, in the same way Apollo was in his defense position. We know about most of Edgeworths story, he's overcome most of his issues and is generally on the mend. A new character provides a whole heap of new situations to overcome. But hey, maybe this game is the set up for that new situation. Either way, this part of my conversation is a waffle. Moving on...

I'm actually looking forward to this game and I probably will buy it. The previous (after PW2 [EDIT, I mean PW3, as I have actually played that one and enjoyed it]) haven't appealled to me too much, due to its repetitiveness. I want to see what they do to it to make it different, but still an important game in this series which could be dying a painful death due to Sequelitus.
Last edited by Hiccup on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.sarah-bates.co.uk - drawing advice and other assorted waffle..
Hiccup

Postby JunkBoy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:55 am

Hiccup wrote:Im putting my hand up here now and saying that I have absolutely no knowledge of this game other than whats been said here. I have played PW 1 and 2, and I THINK 3, but thats as far as my knowledge of this series goes. If you're still with me, lets have a go:

What made the game great (to me) was that moment in the courtroom where you finally pieced all the pieces together and proved that your guy was innocent and some random other guy was the real guilty party. Take away that, and you take away the real great thing about the game. However, with so many sequels now using the same concept, it's getting kinda old. They need a new take on things. Not more new characters who are defense attourneys.

To make this new game good, it needs a new concept, a new way of looking at it. It needs the same charm and the same basic characters, which makes Edgeworth the most logical choice. Here's the thing though - I don't think Edgeworth was the BEST choice. I'm gonna contradict myself here and say that actually, what would've worked better was a whole new character, a new prosecutor who was learning the ropes, in the same way Apollo was in his defense position. We know about most of Edgeworths story, he's overcome most of his issues and is generally on the mend. A new character provides a whole heap of new situations to overcome. But hey, maybe this game is the set up for that new situation. Either way, this part of my conversation is a waffle. Moving on...

I'm actually looking forward to this game and I probably will buy it. The previous (after PW2) haven't appealled to me too much, due to its repetitiveness. I want to see what they do to it to make it different, but still an important game in this series which could be dying a painful death due to Sequelitus.

PW3 was the one with Prosecutor Godot which, if you haven't played, I highly recommend.

A sound argument for the game's defence, but then if you're bringing in a new prosecutor wouldn't it then be more viable to then just completely change the setting of the game and name it something else like "Prosecution Proposition" and have it unrelated to the Ace Attorney franchise? I do think this game would kick up less of a stink of they didn't have it based on the franchise. As a stand-alone game it would of been more easier to swallow, but as part of a franchise you're made to feel so aware that they are doing this instead of working on a proper Ace Attorney game, which does feel a bit of a letdown.

And true, the set rigmarole of "Investigation > Court > Investigation > Court > Investigation > Court > Win > Cake" is getting a little stale, but then it's what really sets the Ace Attorney franchise apart from, say, the CSI games. Taking it away is like taking away the magical feeling you keep up an ongoing in-joke with a friend you've been doing for years; it's just too much fun to do without, no matter how old the set-piece gets. I think they went after the wrong element of Ace Attorney to redo. A game which involved less investigation time and a new court room system would of been a lot more fun.

I guess I'm just biased against it out of resistance. The PW games were such a shining gem in the DS library but is obviously dieing due to old age, and instead of embracing the child's attempt to follow on in the parents footsteps all I can do is miss the true creator's genius while calling the new work a mere shadow of the legend's glory.

Wow...That last paragraph ended up feeling more like I was calling out Chris Browne.
JunkBoy

Postby Hiccup on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:19 pm

JunkBoy wrote:
Hiccup wrote:Words

PW3 was the one with Prosecutor Godot which, if you haven't played, I highly recommend.

A sound argument for the game's defence, but then if you're bringing in a new prosecutor wouldn't it then be more viable to then just completely change the setting of the game and name it something else like "Prosecution Proposition" and have it unrelated to the Ace Attorney franchise? I do think this game would kick up less of a stink of they didn't have it based on the franchise. As a stand-alone game it would of been more easier to swallow, but as part of a franchise you're made to feel so aware that they are doing this instead of working on a proper Ace Attorney game, which does feel a bit of a letdown.

And true, the set rigmarole of "Investigation > Court > Investigation > Court > Investigation > Court > Win > Cake" is getting a little stale, but then it's what really sets the Ace Attorney franchise apart from, say, the CSI games. Taking it away is like taking away the magical feeling you keep up an ongoing in-joke with a friend you've been doing for years; it's just too much fun to do without, no matter how old the set-piece gets. I think they went after the wrong element of Ace Attorney to redo. A game which involved less investigation time and a new court room system would of been a lot more fun.

I guess I'm just biased against it out of resistance. The PW games were such a shining gem in the DS library but is obviously dieing due to old age, and instead of embracing the child's attempt to follow on in the parents footsteps all I can do is miss the true creator's genius while calling the new work a mere shadow of the legend's glory.

Wow...That last paragraph ended up feeling more like I was calling out Chris Browne.

Ah, I have played PW3 and enjoyed it a lot, mainly for Godots character. He was awesome ^_^

I agree, perhaps it would've worked better as something seperate to the franchise - or perhaps a sister game to the Ace Attourney project. But eh, that's what worries me - when games companies start doing stuff like this, which is an obvious "cash in on the characters" route, the outlook of the game quality doesn't look good... Here's hoping :)

I don't have anything else to add to the discussion now though, so I'm done with my clueless waffle :)
http://www.sarah-bates.co.uk - drawing advice and other assorted waffle..
Hiccup

Postby binxiipop on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Overall, the game is worth playing though, and it still does require you to use some brainpower, so I would recommend playing it at least once.
binxiipop

Previous

Return to GAMING